Mead, the world’s oldest alcoholic drink, is making a comeback. Dating back thousands of years, mead is an alcoholic beverage created by fermenting honey with water, sometimes with various fruits or spices and was once thought to be the drink of the gods, falling from the Heavens as dew and then gathered by bees.
The earliest recorded evidence of its existence dates from 7000BC, where archaeologists discovered pottery vessels from the Neolithic village of Jiahu in Henan province, China. But it may have originated a 1000-years prior to this on the island of Crete during the Age of Gold. The word for drunk in classical Greek is “honey-intoxicated.”
Once the Vikings’ drink of choice, it was also believed to improve health, prolong life, and was presented to newlyweds to enjoy during what we now call their “honeymoon”.
Next to Gin, Mead is the fastest selling alcoholic beverage worldwide and here at Lyme Bay we have a delectable array of delicious meads to enjoy. Let us tempt you with some ideas on how to create impressive cocktails from our extensive range. From the traditional, to the more adventurous, we have suggestions to tempt every taste!
Let’s begin with a traditional cocktail Mjolnir Mojito. The word ‘Mjolnir’ is a Norse name for Thor’s hammer. A simple but delicious combination of flavours.
- 50ml of Lyme Bay Traditional Mead
- Splash of lime juice or tonic
- Crushed/fresh mint to taste
- Mix ingredients into highball on ice.
- Garnish with mint.
How about a touch of sophistication for the discerning? Not just for gentlemen. Gender non-specific!!
The Gentleman’s Gambit
- Lyme Bay Black cherry mead, 15ml
- Lyme Bay Elderflower and lemon vodka 50ml
- Pink grapefruit and orange, 1 wedge of each + zest from each
- Serve in a chilled tumbler
- Add the Lyme Bay vodka and Lyme Bay Cherry mead to a cocktail shaker.
- Twist the orange and grapefruit zest into the shaker, adding the peel.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange and the grapefruit wedges into the shaker.
- Shake and then pour over ice.
- Garnish with pickled cherries.
A wonderful twist on a traditional cocktail to sip on a relaxing summer day with friends or to celebrate ‘party style’.
- 6 oz of Lyme Bay Bullet for my Valentine-Venom Mead
- 2 oz orange juice
- Splash of Cointreau liqueur (optional)
- Fresh fruit
- Pour the Valentine-Venom Mead into a champagne flute.
- Add the orange juice and a splash of the orange Cointreau liqueur for a nice added kick. (optional)
- Garnish with fresh fruit. Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries all work well.
A truly summery experience.
At Lyme Bay our award-winning meads are fermented, blended and aged on site. We use ancient recipes, giving them a contemporary spin to create mouth-watering flavours and experiences. From traditional meads to fruit based and floral bouquets, we have offerings to suit every palate. Combine them with some of our dreamy liquors and become your own mixologist. Experiment and have fun.
Why not visit our website and sample our wide range of heavenly honey meads? Nectar of the Gods.